Dr. Ouattara was born in 1966 in Côte-d’Ivoire. He received a masters degree in physical geography from Université de Cocody-Abidjan (Côte-d’Ivoire). In 1996, Dr. Ouattara obtained a masters degree and in 2001 a PhD, both in Remote sensing and Geographical Information System (GIS) from Sherbrooke University (Canada).
Dr. Ouattara is currently Space Science Expert and Coordinator for GMES & Africa Support Programme. He has gained tremendous experience in international relations and business development, research and development (R&D), strategic policy development and program management issues related to environment, natural resources, and sciences and technology. Indeed Dr. Ouattara began his career in Canada as lecturer at Sherbrooke University from 1996 to 2001. He taught not only scientific courses, but also African geopolitics and sociocultural issues. After a brief stay with the private sector in Montreal, in 2002 Dr. Ouattara started working with the federal government of Canada. He successively occupied various positions:
At the Canadian Space Agency (2004-2006):
• International Relations manager in charge of Africa, Central and South America and United Nations. He was also covering Earth Observation, Navigation and Positioning, Robotics and Space Sciences portfolios.
• Head of Canadian Delegation at the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UNCOPUOS).
At the Department of Natural Resources Canada (2002-2004 and 2006-2010) :
• Senior Science and Policy Advisor in charge of international science and policy portfolio for the Assistant Deputy Minister and Chief Scientist.
• Head of knowledge management, bilateral and multilateral strategies Unit
• Manager of Canadian Digital Elevation Model Programme.
• Researcher and International Relations officer in geomatics (earth observation, mapping, GPS and Geographical Information System.
At the Department of Environment Canada (2010-2016):
• Associate Director for the Candian Council for Ecological Areas
• Head, Landscape and Ecosystem Assessment Planning and Coordination, and Geospatial Data Management Unit, Canadian Wildlife Service. •
Manager, Landscape and Protected Areas Policy and Planning Section, Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS).